LOGISTIC’s AND SUPPLY CHAIN LEARNERSHIPS
There is presently no Qualification available for employees at Level Two in all three areas of the sector and there is great synergy between the needs of the three areas. As a result, based on specific needs expressed, the Certificate in Wholesale and Retail Distribution was developed. The impact of this Certificate on society and the economy is reflected in the multiple job roles and careers within three distinct arenas that can stem from the qualification.
The added value of the skills, knowledge and understanding developed by the Certificate will result in greater productivity resulting from the improved performance by the learner, due to the integration of the learning which may have taken place in the workplace.
National Certificate: Wholesale and Retail Distribution - NQF Level 2
Industry: LOGISTICS & SUPPLY CHAIN
National Certificate:Wholesale and Retail Distribution
The purpose of this Certificate is to equip learners to understand and acquaint themselves with the underlying principles of all of the major areas related to distribution within the Wholesale & Retail sector, thus enabling them to become more effective employees. The Certificate further aims to provide career paths through various levels and areas of the Wholesale and Retail environment thus promoting the notion of quality lifelong learning. By assisting in the development of competence in the Wholesale and Retail field (arguably one of the bigger, more labour intensive and therefore important arenas for social and economic transformation in the country), this Certificate will provide a stepping-stone for further learning in the Further Education and Training Band.
The Certificate in Wholesale and Retail Distribution, NQF Level 2, is designed to meet the needs of the learners who are already employed and involved in Wholesale, Distribution or Mail Order Retail within the Wholesale and Retail field. Additionally, however, it may also allow access to, and meet the needs and aspirations of the youth and unemployed who wish to pursue a career in these areas, or in fields where this learning may be useful. This furthermore includes adult learners who want to enter the arena or develop their careers in one or more of the related sub-fields. As this Certificate may form part of a learning pathway it may allow mobility to persons operating at any level in the field.
This Certificate provides learners with a grounding in all areas of Distribution. This may enable them not only to increase their productivity within the Wholesale and Retail Sector but also to apply their learning in various other business environments.
ealthy, safe and productive manufacturing, engineering and technology environments, through encompassing applied knowledge, skills, attitudes and values.
National Certificate: Freight Handling - NQF Level 3
Industry: LOGISTICS & SUPPLY CHAIN
National Certificate:Freight Handling
The safe handling of freight is dependent upon the applicable people complying with the relevant procedures and applying the necessary skills to their handling. This Qualification, therefore, is aimed at providing learners in the Freight sector with:
An integrated practical and theoretical grounding in Freight Handling.
The ability to work more effectively with others.
The skills necessary to maintain and enhance the level of service and quality of service expected by customers.
An awareness and understanding of key business principles that lead to transformation, transferability, economic growth and social development in the freight handling industry.
The key areas of specialisation identified within the Freight Handling Industry are as follows:
- Warehousing and Distribution.
- Port Operations.
- Courier Operations.
- Bulk Handling.
- Forwarding and Clearing.
Learners completing this Qualification, in whatever area of specialization selected, will be able to demonstrate the ability to consider a range of options related to their chosen field in order to make decisions and improve performance around, inter alia, freight handling administration, planning; goods handling, storage, transport planning, and basic freight handling equipment maintenance.
FETC: Manufacturing & Assembly Logistics (M&AL) - NQF Level 4
Industry: LOGISTICS & SUPPLY CHAIN
FETC:Manufacturing and Assembly Logistics (M&AL)
The purpose of the qualification is to provide learners, education and training providers and employers with the standards and the range of learning required to work effectively within a manufacturing, assembly and process logistics environment and meet the challenges of such an environment.
The chief skills that are recognised in this qualification are:
- Communicate and present information clearly and reliably and demonstrate the ability to analyse information to identify problems and determine trends.
- Warehouse manufacturing and assembly inventory.
- Determine material requirements.
- Plan, schedule and monitor production and solve operational problems.
- Promote, implement and maintain procedures that support safety, health, the environment, quality and risk management including reporting to and coaching team members.
- Demonstrate an understanding of options for further learning in this or a related field of learning and preparation requirements for such learning.
These skills require an in-depth understanding of manufacturing, parts and accessories manufacturing and distribution processes.
National Certificate: Supply Chain Management - NQF Level 5
Industry: LOGISTICS & SUPPLY CHAIN
National Certificate:Supply Chain Management
The purpose of this qualification is to provide learners with the competencies required to engage in the processes and inter-relationships across the supply chain so as to create sustainable value for organisations. This qualification is aimed at overcoming the traditional functional approach to operations and management, and at fostering supply chain integration to the advantage of all stakeholders. The National Treasury developed competency profiles for the Public Sector in terms of supply chain management. This qualification meets some of those Public Sector needs and is also suitable for the private sector.
Qualifying learners will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of a supply chain management environment within an organisation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the influence of performance and risk within a supply chain management environment.
- Contribute to the development of a supply chain strategy and operational plans for the organisation.
- Execute a supply chain strategy for the organisation.
The target groups for this qualification are people working within operational to middle management positions within the various processes of the supply chain or those who are aspiring for such positions. Learners who have, in the past, held a supervisory position within the various supply chain processes are most likely to find the qualification applicable to them.
This qualification has therefore been designed to address these demands as well as support the competencies required in the key areas of supply chain management that were identified within the greater industry yielding the following elective areas:
- Purchasing and Supply
- Strategic Supply Chain Management
- Materials/Logistics Management
- Disposal Management
- Public Service
National Certificate: Management (LP: Stores and Warehousing) NQF 3
Industry: Wholesale, Retail, Distribution, Warehousing
SAQA ID: 83946
NQF Level: 3
Minimum Credits: 120
Management is an essential, key function of a business. The National Certificate in Management: Level 3 is designed to meet the needs of learners who require junior management skills in all sectors of the economy. It is intended for junior managers of business units in medium to large organisations. The term business unit in this qualification implies a cost centre, section or department. It is envisaged that learners who complete this qualification will be engaged in multiple work roles in a variety of organisations and will be able to play a part, at their level, in the implementing of the vision and contributing ultimately to the success of an organisation.
Junior management positions in organizations include, but are not limited to team leaders, supervisors, first line managers and section heads. The position or term, “junior manager” is used to describe the first level of management in an organisation at which an employee has other employees reporting to him/her.
The National Certificate in Management: NQF Level 3 exposes learners to a broad set of core competencies covering a number of aspects of junior management. It is intended for learners who:
- Have attained a National Certificate: Level 2 and wish to continue on a path of life-long learning in the field of management.
- Were previously disadvantaged and were therefore denied access to Further Education and Training or management positions.
- Wish to extend their range of skills and knowledge of management so that they progress within their chosen career path.
- Are team leaders or supervisors and wish to improve their management skills.
- See themselves as future managers and need to start their training at the lower end of management.The National Certificate in Management: Level 3 allows the individual to work towards a nationally recognised qualification. It is flexible enough to accommodate both learners in formal education and learners already employed in business or industry. It aims to develop informed and skilled junior managers. The qualification at this level is generic so as to allow maximum mobility between industries. Skills, knowledge, values and attitudes reflected in the qualification are building blocks that will be developed further at NQF level 4.
- The intention is:
- To promote the development of knowledge and management skills that are required in all sectors.
- To release the potential of people.
- To provide opportunities for people to move up the value chain.Learners already employed in junior management in business and industry at this level do work that requires a well-developed range of skills. The National Certificate in Generic Management: NQF Level 3 should assist junior managers to contribute to improved productivity and efficiency within the business environment. It should provide the means for current junior managers to receive recognition of prior learning and to upgrade their skills. Qualifying learners should be competent, at a basic level, in competencies relating to:
- Managing systems and processes, including planning own and group and team members` activities
- Managing resources
- Managing teams and individuals, including leading teams and participation in meetings
- Managing self.Junior managers are generally in positions that require knowledge and expertise in a specific work function. It is therefore envisaged that learners at this level may elect to do a relevant workplace qualification in their field and include the unit standards that are classified as core in the National Certificate in Management: Level 3 as electives in another qualification. This would ensure that they have both industry and management expertise. This support the notion that junior managers are firstly experts in their field and secondly managers.This qualification could also be useful to managers of small businesses.
FETC: Generic Management (LP 63333 - Wholesale & Retail Management) - NQF Level 4
Industry: LOGISTICS & SUPPLY CHAIN
FETC:Generic Management (LP 63333 – Wholesale and Retail Management)
ETQA:W&RSETA (Application Submitted)
This qualification is intended for junior managers of small organisations, junior managers of business units in medium and large organisations, or those aspiring to these positions. Junior managers include team leaders, supervisors, foremen and section heads.
This qualification lays the foundation for the development of management qualifications across various sectors and industries. It specifically develops management competencies required by learners in any occupation, particularly those who are currently operating as junior managers. The qualification introduces key terms, rules, concepts, principles and practices of management that will enable learners to be informed managers in any occupation. It has also been developed to enable managers or prospective managers to access higher education and provide flexible access to life-long learning.
National Certificate: Wholesale & Retail Operations Supervision - NQF Level 4
National Certificate:Wholesale and Retail Operations Supervision
This qualification is a further step in a learning pathway that underpins a career in the Wholesale and Retail arena, and helps the progression for a career path within an organisation. This qualification is rooted in actual practice and the learner is expected to be part of a public or private organisation and/or company operating in the area.
The Certificate will form part of a learning pathway that currently stretches from NQF Levels 2 to 5. This pathway will culminate in a qualification at NQF Level 5 with the prospect of a management position within an organisation.
Specifically, the purpose of this Certificate qualification is to equip learners to understand and acquaint themselves with the principles of supervision and team leadership within the Wholesale & Retail sector and to provide career paths with associated learnerships through various levels and areas of the Wholesale and Retail environment. Supervision in this context includes all activities ensuring the achievement of desired results and the correct implementation of prescribed policies, procedures and activities. The Certificate thus aims to build capacity and improve skills at lower management level in the Wholesale and Retail sector thus ensuring the development of competence and increased service delivery in this field
The qualification provides learners with greater competence in people management within the Wholesale and Retail Sector.